Thursday, April 24, 2008

Deconstruction, Justin McRoberts



Justin McRoberts has released his album "Deconstruction," Rachel recieved it in the mail last week and like a good husband I have been monopolizing this cd since it's arrival. For those who have not heard his music, Justin is a writer who attacks very complicated issues through his music. He's not afraid to discuss the state of the church in America, or the state of our Union, or open up and discuss the state of his own walk.

Justin's style is very bare and laid open. Even with a full band on the recordings there is always a sense of rawness in his sound. He tours alone. More correctly, he does not tour with a band. His wife comes along, who is the best manager, promoter, roadie, sound tech in the business. Who better than your wife to say "Hon, you just sound off. You need to not suck tonight." This kind of necessary criticism for a live performer always comes a little more well recieved from the woman you're in love with. Trust me.

Back to the album. Deconstruction. I'm not going to write a big review of the album, but say that I feel this is one of the best. In fact it is hard trying to write my thoughts on the album while I listen to track five:

"...but every critic with his pen and his computer talks about effectiveness and not about the art."

Tough to swallow. There is a move in this album somewhere in following with the self reflection of "Grace Must Wound." I am thoroughly enjoying the album as a whole. Justin's music always tends to knock me flat footed for a few days, and I'm still trying to regain my ballance. If you have the opportunity to see him live, I would definately encourage you. Most of his shows are free, and at churches that invite him to share. An evening of Justin is comprised of great music, sharing of his testimony, jokes, and fellowship. He and his wife are a great family to meet, and very open to meeting people wherever they travel.

Most of the Deconstruction album is available to listen to on his website, and I recommend spending the cash and making this album your own.
http://www.justinmcroberts.com/mainpage.html

"Well, I spent the whole night fightng
Fighting with some ghost
And when the break of morning found me
I'd both won and lost

You see the question isn't are you going to suffer any more,
But what will it have ment when you are through?
The question isn't are you going to die, you're going to die
Will you be done living when your through?

Yes I spent the whole day running
Trying to catch the sun
But when the darkness overtook me
All my runnig made me strong

So run until you cannot take a single step in strength
Then crawl on your hands and knees, 'till your hands and knees they ache
And when you cannot crawl
It will be me you call to carry you back home again"

No comments: