Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Death Cab for Cutie



So monday night was the Death Cab show, and let me tell you. Those guys came to rock and they definately brought it. I think that HSU has a reputation in the music industry for being a venue that really rocks the house. Every show that I've been to at the ol' Duzer has always had a very lively and responsive crowd.

The opening band was a trio from Seattle called The Cave Singers. http://www.myspace.com/thecavesingers

The guitar player did some amazing things on a nylon string guitar. He had it set really hot, so his fingerpicking was very poppy, not something I'm used to with a nylon guitar. Their sound is kinda the classic Seattle indie sound that makes that city great. Big thumbs up for those guys. They were given a half hour set and hooked me from the start.




Death Cab brought it, and brought it big! It had been a while since I've seen a live show, and I enjoyed being able to really study the band and what they were doing. I'm usually not a jumper and screamer, I tend to sit and absorb what's happening. The band is made up of 4 very accomplished musicians, all well versed in multiple instruments. The sound that they create is big, those guys are all about dynamics, big swings and big drops in tone and dynamic. There's a simplicity in most of what they play with the tension and resolve being created through the lyrics and the dynamics.
I've noticed a trend in guitar style that has not been immerging as anything new, but getting more recognition in the rock and roll community. The idea of the guitarist not as a soloist and spotlighted engima, but a foundation block for the sound. This stye has been going on for years in bands such as U2 and REM, but has been very underappreciated until recently. I think that an album full of soaring guitar solos has left too many people feeling that the song has soared off without them. Death Cab's two guitarists work back and forth building off of eachother's riff and sound to create the foundation for the song. It really is a great way to convey mood, and emotion into the song. I also think that when the guitarist can break away from speed riffs and panatonic scale, it opens the door for new sound and harmonics. There becomes a freedom to express the tone of your amp and the overtones that are created in the room. Don't get me wrong, there will always be a place for the guitar solo in rock music. Even then the blues solo is evolving. Look at John Mayer and where he's taking his sound. At any rate, phenominal guitar playing, as well as great synth sound, solid drumming and bass section.
Definately one of the best shows I have seen!






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Dave, With guitar playing like that it is little wonder that when they played "Transatlantacism" the guitar amp at the corner of the stage behind B.G. caught on fire! That concluded the encore set!

Unknown said...

I guess that was supposed to happen...